Annual Flu Shot: Your Best Shot for Staying Healthy This Season
Morehouse Healthcare — September 29, 2016
Morehouse Healthcare stocked with latest vaccine doses
‘Tis the season—as in flu season.
With that time of year now upon us, Morehouse Healthcare is prepared to protect its patients thanks to a stock of flu vaccine doses. Although young children and the elderly are among those most at-risk of getting the flu, the viral illness can make even healthy adults bedridden.
“Your best line of defense against the flu is an annual flu shot,” said Dr. Harold Stringer, infectious disease specialist at Morehouse Healthcare. “The vaccination can reduce flu illnesses and prevent unnecessary hospitalizations.”
In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that everyone 6 months of age or older receive a yearly flu vaccine by the end of each October, if possible. Flu can cause high fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, muscle, and joint pain. It can be spread from something as simple as a sneeze or cough.
Here are 5 fast facts about the flu:
- Flu season runs from October until as late as May.
- It takes an average of two days for symptoms to appear after a person is exposed to the flu virus.
- In addition to getting a flu shot, stay away from others who are sick, wash your hands often and take other measures to prevent the spread of germs.
- New flu viruses often appear annually.
- Flu virus can worsen chronic medical conditions and lead to ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and pneumonia.
Getting a flu shot is really a dose of prevention and guards you against the most common types of influenza viruses that will occur this season. Call Morehouse Healthcare today at 404-756-1400 (Atlanta) or 404-752-1000 (East Point) to schedule your flu vaccination appointment.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention